Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Gwalior Fort

I visited the Scindia School after what seems like ages. The drive up to the fort via the steep Urwai ghati brought back memories of the days spent at the school. The old houses (our hostels) still look the same with the trees that seem as young as ever. I remember hurling my hockey stick at the tamarind tree in front of Jeevaji house for some juicy imlis. Sometimes, the stick would get entangled in the old limbs of the trees only to be rescued by the forceful strike of another stick borrowed from a housemate. And then, we would rush to the games fields with pockets full of the loot, content. Ah, those beautiful moments remain as fresh in my memories...

We visited Astachal with the statue of Mahatma Gandhi, the young eucalyptus tree and remembered looking at the old ramparts of the fort in the background as the sun went down over the hills beyond the fort walls. I remembered Mr Chatterjee with reverberations of his voice as he sang - "surya ast ho gaya..gagan mast ho gaya...pag pag hum gaate chalein...aha gaate...aha gaate" (The sun has gone down...the sky is rosy and ecstastic..we are singing with every step..."). It looked just the same but there were no boys, no roll-call and no school astachal this evening.



Also, I finally got to see the light and sound show in the vicinity of the beautiful Man-mandir built by Raja Man Singh. As the deep voice of Amitabh Bachchan started the narration of the chequered history of this famous fortress at Gwalior, multicolored lights spot-lighted the historical buildings around the area one by one as the sound-bytes changed.
A mild winter breeze blew as I sat on the edge of the wall, trying to keep my camera steady and wishing I had brought my tripod with me. I was under the impression that photography with-or-without flash was not allowed. The lights of the Gwalior city below, twinkling like stars, winked telling me that I will be back again.

8 comments:

Doc said...

THANKS A MILLION NITISH...IT BROUGHT BACK WONDERFUL MEMEORIES...

DR.VIKRAM PATEL - MUMBAI-RANOJI.
1955 TO 1960

Anonymous said...

Dear Nitish, I am Kamlesh K Vikamsey Ex-Rv 1972-77. Atleast one of my brothers must have been in your time. Read your note and saw your wonderful photo of the even more wonderful ASTACHAL. School always makes me nostalgic.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nitish,
Nice snaps !
You have captured the essence of Scindia and the scindian spirit in this photograph of Astachal

Regards,
Suman Verma Rv-84

Anonymous said...

these pictures do take you back to the life & times in school. do you have more photos?

saurabh gupta
ex-Md 1988

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs. Great text.
Must be a Scindia education?
Well done.
Prashant Prabhu
Jankoji - Madhav
1961 - 1967

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your Gwalior Fort pics! I recently visited Gwalior for the first time and loved the fort.

Niyati Nigam, Atlanta, USA

Anonymous said...

dear nitish

really nice picks!.....specially the astachal. you are as old as my dad....but am sure the Scindian inside you is still lively and young. Things in scindia would had been different in your days, but each Scindian has the same nostalgic memories about the school.
Good work done.....
It was really good to see the snaps you have posted.

Regards
Rahul Jain
ex- Jayaji 1996-02
Jankoji 1992-96

indicaspecies said...

I was at the Gwalior Fort in December 2007 and am currently putting up some posts on it on my blog.

Glad to have reached here and it's lovely to go through your interesting posts. Your picture of the lit up Man Mandir Palace is awesome!